James R. and Phyllis B. Geyer
In 1946, Dr. James R. Geyer began his teaching profession in the Lurgan Township Elementary School on an emergency certificate. He graduated from Shippensburg State Teacher's College, now Shippensburg University, in 1953. After teaching several years in the public school system, he returned to Shippensburg University in 1968 to teach in the Elementary Education Department. He became the Director of the Reading Center in 1970.
Mrs. Phyllis Benneman Geyer was also a graduate of Shippensburg University, having completed her undergraduate work in 1952 and a master's degree in 1977. Like her husband, Mrs. Geyer chose a career in the field of education, and taught in the Big Spring School District and at Fannett-Metal High School. They established this scholarship to provide assistance to academically talented students who are enrolled in the teacher education program at Shippensburg University.
Scholarships associated with James R. and Phyllis B. Geyer