Dr. William E. Peightel
This scholarship fund was established by Dr. and Mrs. Peightel in 1991 in honor of Dr. Peightel’s service to Shippensburg University and its students. Dr. William E. Peightel joined the Biology Department faculty in 1956. His retirement in 1991 marked the end of 35 years of exceptional service to thousands of Shippensburg University students.
During his tenure, Dr. Peightel served the Department in various roles. In addition to his teaching and serving as Department Chair, Dr. Peightel also established the Medical Technology program in 1968, a program which he coordinated for 23 years. Other activities in the health services field in which Dr. Peightel was instrumental include the establishment of professional affiliations between Shippensburg University and schools such as Temple University, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Also active outside the classroom and department, Dr. Peightel played a key role in the physical expansion of the Shippensburg University campus during the 1960s and 1970s, serving as chairman of the committee which planned the construction of the Franklin Science Center. He also volunteered in the Shippensburg community and served as chair of the Kresge Campaign for the SU Foundation, raising $1M for scientific equipment for Shippensburg University.
Scholarships associated with Dr. William E. Peightel